Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Bloody Monday

Wait, that's not how the song goes.

Returning from a much-needed but very short weekend, I find the water is exactly at eye level. The problem is the nose is below the eyes.

Heard about the Emmys last night. Really didn't watch them, but the reviews of Neil Patrick Harris hosting the awards ceremony were glowing. Recommendation to the Emmys: Keep hiring him. Even if the network that airs it changes.

So, the results from last year and this year were virtually identical. No surprise. That's why they are called the Emmys. But, to be honest, I wasn't too disappointed last year, since Glenn Close, Bryan Cranston, Tina Fey, and Alec Baldwin won awards. You really can't go wrong with those four. Mad Men is one of the best dramas on television, though I think Breaking Bad was the better choice. 30 Rock is uneven but hysterical when on fire. I think it is a travesty that nothing from The Shield or Battlestar Galactica showed up. The real atrocities occurred with the nominations, not the wins.

So I heard USC lost. Heh.

So I heard Nebraska lost. Glad my mother didn't watch the game.

So I heard BYU lost. Oh, wait.

(You heard it here probably fifth or twenty-fifth or something. We will lose to Miami, perhaps badly, in two weeks.)

Kansas City was a blast, as usual. I absolutely love Union Station. An astonishingly gorgeous building. Though I am fully aware of how commercialized the Country Club Plaza is, the buildings and the atmosphere make the visit worth it. Only regret is not spending some food time in Westport.

By the way, 42nd 21st birthday does not mean a person is 63. Think about it.

I am officially allergic to Norman. Sinuses cleared up on Saturday only to return today. Welcome home, Chad!

"Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency" was the best episode of Mad Men this season and perhaps ever. When this show is on fire, nothing else touches it.

The season premiere of House was excellent but makes me wish that the show was only about House, and maybe Wilson. DVR'd The Big Bang Theory and can't wait to watch it.

Very strong pilot for Community. Right now, that's appointment television for me. Was not very impressed with Glee, though.

Next year's "Mom-cation" will feature Boston, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. Feeding her Kennedy obsession in travel form. (That's OK. Can't really complain too much about the locations.)

I realize this note is scatter-brained, but so am I. And I get to submit 15 WRF simulations before I go to bed. Yay, dreams of microphysics and boundary layer parameterization schemes dancing in my head...then beating it with an atmospheric hammer. Oh, that's the sinuses. Sorry.